Men's Basketball Moves Past Post Eagles In Close Division Battle

Men's Basketball Moves Past Post Eagles In Close Division Battle

Nyack, NY - The Nyack College men's basketball team used a strong collective team effort to earn their second victory in the last three games. The Warriors defeated the Post University Eagles 67-63 in a CACC match played at Bowman Gym on Tuesday night.

The Eagles got on the board first, before Nyack would jump ahead by three after a Rashard Lewis' jumpshot and three pointer. Both teams battled back and fourth in the opening minutes of the match, but the Warriors kept the upper hand until the 5th minute of the first half. A Post three-pointer would tie the game at 20-20 with 4:39 to go in the first period. The fans got to see several lead changes and tied scores in the closing minutes of the first half. Curtis Thompson's jumpshot would give the Warriors the go ahead bucket with 42 seconds remaining. But the Eagles would use a buzzer beater to take a one point lead into halftime, 28-29. 

Post enjoyed the better start into the game with a 8-0 run, jumping to an early 9-point lead at the 16:44 mark. The Eagles extended their lead up to 12 with 15:16 to go, 30-42. But the Warriors answered back with a 11-0 run to cut the Eagles lead down to one, 41-42, with 12:29 left in the game. Nyack would take the lead for the first time in the second half at the 10th minute mark after a succesful Thompson layup followed by an and-one, 50-48. The Warriors held on to their tight lead over a six minute period, before the Eagles would tie the game at 59-59 and eventually move ahead after a succesful three point attempt. Post would then have another chance to extend their lead after atrip to the foul line. Post's Lockwood made the first free throw but failed to convert his second attempt leaving the Eagles with a 4-point lead. Rashard Lewis answered on the Warrior front with a succesful attempt from behind the arc to cut the lead back down to one with 2:09 to go in the game. The game was set up for a dramatic finish. Nyack would force a turnover, before the Eagles would get the ball back by forcing a turnover themselves. The following Eagles' attempt was unsuccesful and gave Nyack the chance to move ahead. Imran Ritchie accepted the challenge and finished a layup with 51 seconds left to give the Warriors a one point lead. The Eagles would miss another attempt and commit an intentional fould, which sent the Curtis Thompson to the foul line. Thompson converted both of his free throws to extend Nyack's lead to three. The Eagles would have one final attempt to tie the game, but a three pointer hit the front of the rim and was picked up by the Warrior defense. An intentional foul sent Deandre Osuigwe to the foul line who converted one of his two attempts to seal the Warrior victory. 

Shawn Witherspoon led the Warriors with 14 points. He was followed by Curtis Thompson and Rashard Lewis who posted 11 points each. Lewis also led Nyack with seven rebounds. 

The Warriors will now travel to Delaware on Saturday to face the Goldey Beacom Lightning in a CACC match. Tip-off is slated for 3pm.