Amherst, NY - The Nyack College men's basketball team started their 2018-19 season with the ECC-CACC Challenge at Daemen College. In their opening game on Saturday morning the Warriors squred off with the Roberts Wesleyan College Redhawks in NCAA matchup.
Final: Nyack 69, Roberts Wesleyan 79
Records: NC (0-1), RWC (1-0)
Location: Amherst, New York (Daemen College)
- Nyack jumped to a 5-2 lead after buckets by Shawn Witherspoon and Curtis Thompson
- RWC used a 7-0 run to extend their lead to 22-10 with 11:20 left in the first half
- the Redhawks were up 29-17 when the Warriors rallied back with a 14-2 to tie the game at 31-31 with three minutes to go
- a Calvin Willis layup gave Nyack the lead, before the Redhawks rounded up the half with six points to take a 37-36 advantage into halftime
- the Redhawks earned an early lead in the second half and extended to as much as 13 points, but Nyack came back in the closing minutes of the game and cut the Roberts lead down to five
- Roberts Wesleyan went 5 for 6 from the foul line in the last minute to edge out the Warriors 79-69
In his first game in the Warriors jersey Joel Bailey led the Warriors with 18 points (50% from the field) and nine rebounds.
Nyack will have a quick turnaround and will be back in action for their second game in the ECC-CACC Challenge when they squre off with the host Daemen College at 2:00pm.