Warriors Lacrosse Open Up 2014 Campaign Against STAC
NYACK LAX DROP SEASON OPENER IN AWAY NON-CONFERENCE MATCH
LINKS: Box Score
BRIDGEPORT, CT – The Warriors women's lacrosse team traveled to the University of Bridgeport to face Saint Thomas Aquinas College (STAC) on Knights Field. Nyack would drop their season opener on the road by the score of 18-2 to the Spartans. Lauren Lebo (West Simsbury, CT) and Christy Andrews (Houston, TX) netted two goals for the Nyack team respectively.
Score: Nyack 2 | STAC 18
Records: Nyack (0-1) | STAC (2-0)
Location: Knights Field | Bridgeport, CT
Inside The Game
Lebo got the Warriors on board just over four minutes into play as she scored the team's first goal off a STAC turnover to tie the match 1-1. From here STAC would land 13 consecutive goals to take the halftime advantage as the score reflected 14-1. STAC opened the second half with a 3-0 run by way of Genevieve Stickney and Margaret Sharp to further stretch their team's lead. With 2:51 left in regulation, Warrior midfielder Andrews penetrated the Spartan defense and fired in a goal to bring Nyack their second point as she would also debut her first collegiate career goal. STAC snuck in one more made shot before closing the period to earn their team the game win on the evening.
Words From Coach
"The girls had a strong start and worked together to demand the pace of the game. They were confident in their attack and corrected areas we worked on together in practice. Overall I was pleased with our endurance and the amount of improvement, particularly on defense. We know what we need to do next and are ready to put in the time to get it done," stated head coach Anne Reis after the game.
A Closer Look
- The Spartans won the draw control battle by a margin of 16-5.
- Nyack's Lauren Lebo and STAC's Sabrina Prestano each led their teams with a game-high 4 ground balls.
- Nyack scooped 13 ground balls overall as the Warrior defense forced a total of 19 Spartan turnovers in the loss.
- Both teams tied with Nyack & STAC goalkeepers, Jacqueline Simeon & Kaitlyn Lonergan, garnering 3 saves apiece.
- For the game STAC held the 39-7 advantage in shots and were nearly perfect on clearing attempts going 6-for-7 including a perfect 1-1 in the second half.
Nyack will return to the field on Tuesday March 4th in a Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) contest as they will play host to Wilmington University in the Warriors home opener at 3pm.
Follow @NyackWarriors on Twitter
Follow @NyackCollegeLAX on Twitter
LIKE Nyack College Athletics on facebook
LIKE Nyack College Women's Lacrosse on facebook